Constipation is nothing to be embarrassed about - it affects nearly a quarter of the Canadian population.
Constipation is nothing to be embarrassed about - it affects nearly a quarter of the Canadian population. It’s also the most common gastrointestinal problem and is often caused by eating foods low in fibre or not drinking enough water. It can also be triggered by things like travel or other changes in your regular routine, eating new & different foods, going to sleep at odd times, physical inactivity, and of course – increased stress!
If and when you do get constipated, choosing the best suited solution for you is important. This simple guide can help you figure out how to choose the right laxative for you.
Option 1: You’re an adult facing occasional symptoms and require gentle relief
For you, the most convenient solution is a 100% soluble laxative that you can pick up over-the-counter and dissolve in any non-alcoholic drink during your day. The logical choice in this case is Lax-A-Day®, Canada’s #1 Doctor and Pharmacist Recommended laxative in its class *
It’s 100% taste-free and grit-free, and is clinically proven to soften stools and cause a bowel movement in 2-4 days. Lax-A-Day® gently increases the bowel movement frequency and is gentle on your digestive tract.
Lax-A-Day® is available in three bottle formats with built-in measuring caps. It also comes in conveniently pre-measured once-daily sachets—great for when on the go.
Option 2: You’re an Adult (or Kid over 11) and are struggling to have a regular start to your day
You need something fast-acting that you can take at night, that lets you wake up ready to go. The ideal pick in this case is Lax-A Senna®, also available over-the-counter. It’s a stimulant laxative made from sennoside, a naturally sourced ingredient. The tablets are coated and easy to swallow, and are also perfect for when you’re off traveling somewhere.
Lax-A Senna® stimulates the contraction of intestinal muscles for a more rapid onset of action than bulk laxatives and generally works within 6 to 12 hours to help produce a bowel movement the next morning*.
Option 3: Like most Canadian adults, you’re not getting enough dietary fibre and suffer from constipation or irregularity
You need a daily-use solution that helps with stool-formation and promotes overall digestive health. Look no further than Lax-A Fibre®, which is made from naturally-sourced fibre – psyllium.
Lax-A Fibre® stimulates the intestinal muscles to contract, causing stools to be softer and bulkier and the digestive contents to move along, leading to an easier bowel movement that is generally triggered within 12 to 72 hours. It has almost no taste at all for easy consumption, and its active ingredient, psyllium fibre, even helps reduce cholesterol*. A regular adult dose is 7 grams – which is about one rounded teaspoon - 1 to 3 times per day, or as directed by your physician or healthcare professional.
Option 4: You’re an adult that requires immediate relief
Your case needs something that acts within minutes and eases discomfort almost-instantly. A great choice is Lax-A Nema® - a single-dose rectal enema that increases fluid in the small intestine for fast-acting relief - usually triggering a bowel movement in 2 to 15 minutes. It’s a sodium phosphate rectal enema that comes with a pre-lubricated and latex-free applicator and that is easy to use.
All the solutions mentioned in this article are available at leading retailers and pharmacies. Do not take any type of laxative for more than one week unless your physician has ordered a special schedule for you.
And for the future, here are some quick tips to avoid constipation:
- Eat lots of fibre-rich foods like fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Whole grains like wheat bran and oats also help in improving your gut function and reducing the chances of constipation.
- Adults should also be drinking plenty of fluids— about 8 to 10 glasses (8 ounces) of non-caffeinated, non-alcoholic beverages during the day.
- Regular exercise also helps prevent constipation
Remember, not having the feeling of being backed up is all about taking small steps and changing your diet gradually to a healthier one. Take it from the #1 Doctor and Pharmacist Recommended Laxative Brand in Canada**
Lax-A Day®, Lax-A Senna®, Lax-A Fibre® and Lax-A Nema® are registered trademarks of Norwell Consumer Healthcare Inc.
These products may not be right for you. Please read and follow the label before use for a list of contraindications, warnings, precautions, and adverse reactions.
- CDHF, What is Constipation? https://cdhf.ca/digestive-disorders/constipation/what-is-constipation/
- CDHF, Recommended daily fibre intake: https://cdhf.ca/fr/health-lifestyle/recommended-daily-fibre-intake/#:~:text=Canadian%20women%20need%2025%20grams,grams%20of%20fibre%20per%20day.
- Pubmed,Long-term cholesterol-lowering effects of psyllium as an adjunct to diet therapy in the treatment of hypercholesterolemia
- Lax-A Day is the #1 PEG 3350 laxative used in Canadian hospitals and in 2022 was the #1 rated OTC Pharmacist and Physician Recommended Brand by EnsembleIQ.
- Profession Santé and Pharmacy Practice + Business 2022 Survey on OTC Counselling and Recommendations (pharmacists) and The Medical Post and Profession Santé (physicians) in the Laxative category.